Should I be worried about Mercury in my filling?
Mercury is one of the most toxic, naturally occurring substances know to man, and it has been used in fillings for more than 150 years. Mercury is mixed with several other metals to form fillings, and is often referred to as "dental amalgam"
Dental amalgam is a mixture of metals, consisting of liquid (elemental) mercury and a powdered alloy composed of silver, tin, and copper. Approximately 50% of dental amalgam is elemental mercury by weight.
The safety of dental amalgams is a hotly contested issue in modern dentistry, with many people & groups on either side swearing that they are either perfectly safe or a health hazard. For more than 30 years Dr Kopfler has chosen to use safer filling materials, like Composite Resin Filling (aka "white" filling).
Dr. Kopfler can safely remove old mercury-laced fillings and replace them with a variety of alternatives to meet each individual's needs & budget. Dr Kopfler works with each patient to determine the safest and most prudent course of action.